Monday, February 23, 2009

3 of my february reads

By mid February, I was wondering if I would actually finish just one book!   Yet, somehow, between naps and dishes and school and laundry, I read the following:

February was all about diversity!

Hold Tight, by Harlan Coban - Coban is one of my favorite quick read mystery writers.  It's near impossible to put one of his books down.  I guess that's why it only took me two days to finish.  Very suspenseful as it kept me guessing to the very end.  Not my favorite of his, but definitely an enjoyable read.

Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be), Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck - If you don't know much about the emergent church (I knew very little), this is a great book.  I found the authors to be humble and discerning and quick to commend what is good in the emergent circles, while graciously pointing out their concerns and warnings.  I am impressed that these guys did their research.  They read lots of emergent books, websites, blogs and even attended various emergent churches and conferences.  They asked people questions and positioned themselves as "learners" while holding onto the Gospel.

Blue Like Jazz, Donald Miller - After hearing a friend talk about her frustration with Bell's "Velvet Elvis", I decided to choose a different author in the emergent circle to read.  As a rule, when I read a book that is critiquing a particular movement, I try to read something from that movement directly.  Aside from a few statements here and there, that I think lacked in basic theological truth,  I liked the book.  I actually liked it a lot.  It's therapeutic in places and weak in bringing a clear definition of the gospel, which seems to unite those in emergent circles.  On the other hand,  Miller talks candidly about sin early on in the book, which I wasn't expecting.  As a writer, he is engaging, honest, and inspiring and it helped me to better understand the beef he and others have toward evangelicalism as a whole.  It also led me to ask myself, "How am I living out what I say I believe?"

No comments:

Post a Comment