Tuesday, September 1, 2009

my rights

Unfortunately, I"m one of those people who struggle a lot with what I believe are my "rights."

It manifests in many ways but most often enough, it is after I feel that I have spent the day caring/serving others  (my kids) and therefore, it is perfectly reasonable for a little ME time.  I feel deserving of what I want, when I want it.  And those things I want are not bad in and of themselves; it's the fact that they become demands and expectations.

While I recognize this as pride (I deserve nothing) after the fact, it is often hard in the midst of a situation to catch myself in the act.  Expecting things I feel I have deserved just comes so natural.

I started reading the Gospel of John this morning and the word "right" stuck out to me and I was gently convicted and reminded that the greatest right that I have is one that has been given to me.  I had nothing to do with it.  It was all a gift from God.  And this right should inform my thinking regarding every other right.
He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him.  But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1:11-13

My hope is that during the day I can remind myself of the right that God gave me, through the gift of His Son, and that my heart, soul, and mind will be filled with thankfulness and humility, as opposed to prideful demands.

No comments:

Post a Comment