Wednesday, September 12, 2007

tasty breakfast

Well I'm back on the South Beach induction and this time I'm trying some of the actual recipes to get out of my normal eating rut. It's only been three days mind you, but I have really enjoyed what I'm eating. It's different but I needed different. So here's what I've been eating for breakfast - Vegetable Quiche Cups to Go. I know it doesn't sound too exciting, but linger on the "to go" part and you might try it. For those of you working girls or busy moms, which includes everyone I know, with a very short time of prep on Sunday night, you can have a nice hot breakfast for the rest of the week ready to go. Here's the scoop:

quicheIngredients:

1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach

3/4 cup of liquid egg substitute (I used Weis brand of egg beaters)

3/4 cup of shredded reduced-fat cheese (regular cheese would be fine too)

1/4 cup of diced green peppers

1/4 cup of diced onions (I left this out b/c cutting an onion hurts my eyes)

3 drops of hot-pepper sauce (optional but I went for it and loved it)

Directions:

1. Microwave the spinach for 2 1/2 minutes on high and drain excess liquid.

2. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups and spray cups with cooking spray.

3. Combine all desired ingredients and mix well.

4. Divide evenly between cups and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

They look pretty pathetic when you take them out of the oven...at least for me they did. I guess I imagined them puffing up like a good blueberry muffin, but not so much with eggs and veggies. After I left them cool down, I put them in a freezer bag and shoved them in the fridge. Each day I have pulled out two for breakfast, removed the baking cup, and reheated them for about a minute. They have a great taste and they are packed with 9 grams of protein so they really fill you.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Tracy,

    I did the South Beach diet last year, and then I decided to do something easier like submit myself to Chinese water torture or have bamboo stalks shoved under my fingernails.

    ReplyDelete