Friday, November 5, 2010

mama said there'll be days like this...

...there'll be days like this, my mama said (mama said, mama said)!

Come on, sing along with me, don't be shy.

These are the facts about the day that Mama said I'd have:

The day: Thursday
Significance: Co-Op
Required time to leave home: 8:20 a.m.
Required time to get everyone up in order to leave on time: 7:20 a.m.
The only day of the week that every child decides to sleep in: Thursday
Extra details: Matt is away at conference; flying solo on crazy morning

I woke up at 7:15, got a quick shower in our quiet home, because like the facts state, it's the only day everyone sleeps in. Go figure. Got dressed and by 7:35 the little kids (3 1/2 and 2 1/2) were getting up. Big boy and Big girl moved quick. They understand time and knew we were running late. Baby girl jumped up with more energy than Tony Robbins. Little boy was a little slower. Actually, much slower. With curls sticking up and sleep in his big brown eyes, he shuffled (sort of like Matt's sick shuffle) to the bathroom. He's been potty trained for some time now with only a handful of accidents and we're so happy about that. All should have gone well on this rushy-rush Thursday morning.

But all did not go well.

Not for little boy and not for me.

Little boy adjusted his sleepy self on the potty and somehow dozed off mentally right before liquid substances began squirting from his body. Of course this is meant to happen and is normal, but let's just say that the positioning of his firing weapon was a bit off.

That's when I heard the screaming/crying.

Leaving gusto-filled baby girl downstairs, I ran back upstairs to find baby boy in a most unhappy state. I also found a puddle of pee on the floor and on the carpet. OK - a misfire. It happens. It's not fun, I have to take the time to clean it up, but it's not the end of the world. Mama did say there'd be days like this.

The drama is far from over though.

Little boy is still unhappy.

That's when I notice that part of his hair is wet. Not sure why but I have a sneaky suspicion. The second I ask him why his hair is wet, the crying gets louder and louder.

I do what any curious mother would do. I bend down to sniff his hair, only to prove my suspicions are accurate. There is definitely pee in my little boy's disheveled curls. Why did this happen and more importantly, how did this happen?

I ask.

And ask.

And ask again.

The crying went on and on and on.

Through tears and sobs and a bit of fear, here's the answer I got:

"Mommy....the squirter came out and I couldn't stop it from going everywhere so I put my hand in front of it and then wiped it on my head."

Operation Wash-Half-of-your-child's-head because there is pee in it -before-CoOp was in full swing!

Amazingly, we did manage to get to Co-Op on time.


I forgot the power cord for my MacBook so I couldn't do what I intended to do for my art classes. Bummer.

And, to top things off, I attempted to heat up a cup of oatmeal for breakfast, before helping out with another class. The oatmeal exploded in the microwave, creating a disgusting mess and leaving me with exactly three spoonfulls to eat. That's what you call a double bummer.

Mama says not to worry though...just listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment