Monday, January 5, 2009

a preview to the review

First off, I am really enjoying  "Out of the Depths."  It is unlike other autobiographies I've read in that Newton spends a great deal of time writing about his life before he was converted.  I am more than halfway finished reading and although I already know how he becomes a Christian (through Piper's Swan Series), I am excitingly awaiting to hear it in Newton's own words .  Each chapter seems to lay a greater degree than the previous chapter  of his total rebellion and rejection of the Savior his mother taught Him about when he was just a young boy.  

Most autobiographies I've read cover the writer's conversion in chapter one or two and the rest of the book is dedicated to sharing how their life was changed and how they served the Lord until their death.  "Out of the Depths" is truly different in that regard.  

Yet, it makes sense considering what I've previously read and noted in my journal about Newton through my summer read of "Roots of Endurance" by John Piper:
"Even at the end of his life he was still marveling that he was saved and called to preach the gospel of grace.  This was one of the deepest roots of his habitual tenderness.  He could not get over the wonder of his own rescue by sheer, triumphant grace."  

At age 72, Newton said the following:  "Such a wretch should not only be spared and pardoned, but reserved to the honor of preaching thy Gospel, which he had blasphemed and renounced...this is wonderful indeed!  The more Thou hast exalted me, the more I ought to abase myself."  

I hope and pray that if I am still alive at 72, that I am still amazed by grace like Newton!

1 comment:

  1. I liked this book for the reasons you wrote about.

    Also because it was simple to read. I had just read Marsden's biography of Edwards, and though it was a great read that encompassed a good deal of puritan church history, I was exhausted from that style of writing.

    I wouldn't label the Edwards biography as "enjoyable" (though I'm glad I read it), but I would label Newton's as enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete