First things first.
You have to make this cake. It's so delicious and light! Don't be overwhelmed by the lengthy directions. It was a very simple cake to make, though it looks professional when you are done!
Here's the original recipe.
And here is how I made it. I stand by my "improvements."
Ingredients for Cake Portion
(1) box of white cake mix (pick something that is moist)
(4) teaspoons of expresso powder (by the instant coffee in grocery store)
(1/4) cup of expresso
(2) tablespoons of Kahlua
Ingredients for Filling:
(1) 16 ounce of mascarpone cheese (don't make the cream cheese substitute - cough up the extra money to get the good stuff. It makes a difference, trust me)
(1) cup of powdered sugar
(4-5) tablespoons of Kahlua
Ingredients for Frosting:
(2) cups of heavy cream
(1/4) cup of powdered sugar
(2) tablespoons of Kahlua
(2) tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
(1) one ounce square of dark chocolate or milk...whatever you prefer
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flower (3) 9" pans.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package. Divide 2/3 of batter between 2 pans. Stir 2 tablespoons of expresso powder into both pans. Pour the last 1/3 into the final pan and leave as is.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes then turn onto wire rack and cool completely.
4. In a measuring cup, combine 1/4 cup of expresso and 2 tablespoons of Kahlua and set aside.
5. To make the filling: In a small bowl, using a mixer set on low, combine mascarpone cheese, cup of powdered sugar and 4-5 tablespoons of Kahlua; beat just until smooth. Cover with with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
6. To make the frosting: In a medium bowl, using a mixer set on medium-high speed, beat the cream, 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of Kahlua until stiff. Fold 1/2 of cream mixture into the filling that you are refrigerating.
Assembling the cake:
1. Place one of your coffee flavored cakes on the serving plate upside down. Using a thin skewer, poke holes in the the cake about 1" apart. Pour 1/3 of the expresso mixture over the cake.
2. Next, take the filling out of the refrigerator and spread half of it across the cake.
3. Now take the one plain cake and set it on top of the filling, upside down. Poke holes again in this layer and pour another third of the expresso over the cake. Spread with the remaining filling.
4. Put the final coffee flavored cake on top, right side up. Again, poke with holes and pour the rest of the expresso over the cake.
5. Now use your frosting to cover the sides and top of the cake. Be generous.
6. Lightly dust the top with cocoa powder and use a vegetable peeler to curl some pieces of chocolate and set on top.
7. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
You will not be sorry! Now print this out and make it!